Sunday, July 15, 2012

How to Connect Samsung Galaxy S3 to MAC PC using Android File Transfer

Some users of Samsung Galaxy S3 struggling to connect their devices to a PC running with MAC OSX. Using the Android File Transfer on Windows computer seems no issues but when it comes to Mac computers and Macbook pro laptops seems there is a problem with the connection.

Connecting Samsung Galaxy S3 to MAC PC using Android File Transfer issues:

So I got my SGS3 yesterday and noticed that the Android File Transfer app won't work, which used to work well when I owned a Galaxy Nexus. I tried it on 2 different Macs and it won't work on neither. The app does not recognize the phone being connected. When I connected it on windows (bootcamp, same Mac) it was recognized, so it's not a hardware fail, it's a software bug.

My Q is, has anybody successfully managed to use the Android File Transfer app together with a Galaxy S3.
Thx, all the help greatly appreciated.
It's definitely something with my Mac. I connected to my virtual Win7 machine on my Mac and it freaks out with the installing new software pop-up over and over but never connects.
Now it's gonna drive me crazy till I figure out what's going on with my Mac!

Hey guys, i'm having an issue with the file transfer. I can see both internal memory and SD, but when i tried to drag and drop from Finder it is giving me an error, saying my screen is locked (even when it isn't) and asking me to reconnect. anyone else have this problem? for now i'm transferring using File Explorer but its a pain in the ass. thanks!

I had this problem when I just got my Galaxy S3 at the end of May, and switching the connection mode to camera (ptp) did the trick. Now, however, regardless of the connection type I have chosen or whether or not I have enabled debugging, I cannot use AFT. At no point does it recognize my device, it just keeps telling me "No Android device found. Please connect your Android device with a USB cable to get started." I have reinstalled the program and still no luck.
MTP never worked for me on my Macbook, while PTP worked as a workaround until LFB (and later). With LFB changing to PTP (by default) pops up Image Capture, which, if everything worked as it should, is what you'd expect I suppose. The problem is that Image Capture doesn't find any pictures on the device even though it recognises that an I9300 is connected - and Android File Manager now doesn't work in either MTP or PTP mode.


Connecting Samsung Galaxy S3 to MAC PC using Android File Transfer Solution:
On your phone, when connected to the AFP program on your mac, you'll see a USB symbol in the notification area. Pull it down and you'll see it says something like 'Connected as media device' and it'll give you options underneath that to change it. Select that and you'll get to a settings page which will allow you to set your phone as a media device ((MTP) or as a camera (PTP) - do the latter and it should work fine.
I have to say, I love this phone but am not overly enamoured with the mac syncing aspect of it. Most apps in the store are flaky at best or don't work at all, TBH. Using the above method, I've managed to get my media over to the phone by dragging/dropping from iTunes and iPhoto.

Problem is, I still can't find a way for my computer to - reliably - see my phone as a camera when I plug it in e.g. invisible to iPhoto and Image capture.

I did actually. Turns out you have to check Camera (PTP) mode instead of Media device (MTP) mode.
Once I connected and checked PTP, the Android File Transfer now sees my phone
You don't need to be in debug mode either.

source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1682041

Install UMS (USB Mass Storage) apps
Here's another solution if you're Samsung galaxy S3 can't connect to your Mac computer. This is an apps called UMS (USB Mass Storage) which enables your Samsung Galaxy S3 external microSD card  accessible as a USB mass storage device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1711009 

If you find a way around any other solution to this problem, please let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment